3.30.2012

Simple Pleasures - "Ode to Red Jello"

I probably shouldn't admit how much I love red jello.  There's no other dessert or snack food that comforts my soul quite like it.  It's fun to eat, with its wiggly, jiggly, fruity yumminess... and there's always room in the tummy for it, even after the most filling meal!   




When my children were younger, there was nearly always red jello in the refrigerator.  I was fine with them believing that I made it just for them, while the truth was, I made it because I loved it!  No worries...I shared it with them!!  But I, like a kid myself, was the one who continually opened the refrigerator and jiggled the bowl to see if it was ready to eat!  It was so exciting when it finally had just the right amount of wiggly-ness to scoop into a bowl!  And when those cute little jiggler trays came out... I was in jello-jiggler heaven!  At last...I could pick it up, hold it in my hand, and eat it like a cookie!!  Awe-some-ness!

When I managed a school cafeteria, where jello was served daily, I regularly set aside a bowl of the red variety for myself... made even yummier with that little teeny-tiny bit of whipped topping that cafeterias add to make it more appealing to children (or kids at heart, such as myself)!




Ah yes... I do love red jello... it's a bit of a lifelong adoration.  I suppose the yellow, orange, blue & green varieties are sorta, kinda ok... if you like those flavors.  But I prefer my jello to be red (strawberry first, cherry second)!

I don't keep it in the refrigerator as much these days.  Instead, I go the the chinese buffet to eat it!  They probably serve it because it's an inexpensive, easy "kid's dessert", but that's ok.  Since it's on nearly every chinese buffet I've ever been to, there must be others out there like me!  Frankly, I see a LOT of adults eating it... with their excited "I'm eating wiggly, jiggly jello" smiles!

"Ode to Red Jello".  

Red jello, Red jello... Oh!  How I love thee!
Red Jello, Red jello... I simply adore thee!
You call my name as you wiggle and jiggle,
And I dash to the fridge with an excited giggle!
You make me as happy as happy can be!
Together forever, red jello & me!

When I'm old and gray, wear dentures or have trouble eating solid food...just feed me red jello!  I'm sure to feel like a kid again!  Whatever your simple pleasures are, take time today to enjoy them!  Hmmm...I wonder if the jello is jiggly enough?   

Smile!  :)
Liz  









No comments:

Post a Comment