3.29.2012

Memorable or Unforgettable?

Would you rather be memorable (worth remembering, notable, easily remembered) or unforgettable (impossible to forget, indelibly pressed on the memory)?  How about the life you lived, the witness you gave, and the legacy you left behind?  Which of those words would you prefer to describe you?  A few months ago, some friends and I had this discussion; I am not entirely sure we reached a foregone conclusion either way.

Winter Trees
I've known some pretty great people who are quite memorable.  The footprints they left behind, as they walked the path of life with me, made impressions that are worth remembering.  Their contributions to my life are notable, and easily remembered.  But I have to dig deep for the small details.  Does that lessen their impact on the person I am today?  Not in the least.  Their presence in my life was part of a specific season... a necessary time which served to prepare me for the frost of the approaching winter, the buds and new life of springtime, the brilliant sunny fun of summer, or the windy, leaf-dancing respite of fall.

Spring Blossoms
Those seasons are remembered with fondness... and sometimes sadness that they ended all too soon.  But God knows what He's doing, and I have to trust that He moves me through the seasons of my life, one into another, guided by His loving hand, keeping me ever aware of the special people He sent to help pave the way for the changes to come.  I suppose in the course of our lifetime, many seasons have not ended as we wish them to.  For this reason, always be sure that important words are never left unsaid.

Summer at the Lake
And then, there are the ones who are impossible to forget, whose impact on my life is indelibly pressed on my memory.  Among these are my family, and my closest, dearest friends.  Many unforgettable people have entered, and remain in my life, from every season.  We may go long periods of time without talking, then pick up the conversation as if there were no break at all.  Their advice, wisdom, love, support, and impact on my life will never be forgotten.  They are the ones who know me so well, that with one spoken (or written) word, they know what I'm thinking.  They know the "codes" in my Facebook statuses, and if I use one, my phone will soon ring with a check-in call.  They know when I need a hug, whether it be virtual or live and in person.  I can count on them to stand beside me, even if we don't always agree.  That's what makes them important to me.

Beautiful Fall
So... memorable or unforgettable?  Perhaps we will be both... memorable to some, unforgettable to others.  What's important, I believe, is that we remain aware that we are affecting the lives around us.  Our words and actions will leave an impression of some kind on somebody.  Our witness will be watched, scrutinized, and remembered... good or bad.  In the blink of an eye the frost may appear, the buds may begin to bloom, the sun may shine, or the time of respite may come, as the seasons change once again.  Forward... always forward.

Love to all!  And Happy Season to you... wherever you may be!!
Liz



  



No comments:

Post a Comment