4.21.2012

All About Da Powa... :)

"There is no problem that sisters cannot confront, combat, plot against, ignore, make fun of, drown in chocolate sauce, or run over with the car."  My goodness that makes me laugh out loud!

I have had the best, most amazing times with my sisters, a.k.a. DA POWA!  I can't say we've always been close, but we've "had each other's back".... most of the time.  We have laughed together more times that I can remember, and when I think of those times, I usually laugh out loud.

There was Missy's 40th birthday party... when we hired a clown to do magic tricks, make balloon animals and dress her up in the most outlandish clothes we could find between Mississippi & Texas!  As a final touch, he turned her around to face him and had her put on a blonde wig and sunglasses.  When she turned around, there we were... the other three crazy sisters, wearing blonde wigs and sunglasses.  It was hilarious!  Ok... I know you're all thinking it was probably one of those "had to be there" moments.  But it's one of the nights when laughter was plentiful, and silliness abounded in mounds and mounds.

And then there was Cathy's 50th birthday weekend.  All she wanted for her birthday was to spend time with her sisters.  We gave her that, but we did even better!  We took her to stay in a "haunted brothel" in the stockyards of Fort Worth, out to eat at the fanciest restaurant in the DFW area, and completely surprised her with tickets to see her very favorite singer, Wynonna Judd.  She hadn't toured in years, and you wouldn't believe how hard it was to convince her to do a concert in the stockyards on Cathy's birthday weekend!  I kid, of course... it was just a happy coincidence!  But boy oh boy... was she surprised!  We also all got matching tattoos that weekend... some of us quite reluctantly.  I blame it on peer pressure... more specifically sister guilt-trip pressure.  But I now have a tattoo... all matchy matchy with my three sisters.  Good times!  Yeah...there's more... but... well... it's probably better to keep some sister secrets!  

Of course, we've endured sadness together too.  We've lost friends, cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents... and our Dad.  Losing a parent isn't easy.  But God, and our Dad, gave us a great gift on that day.  I can't explain it... it was definitely a "had to be there" moment.  It was a gift of closure and peace.  A sweet and precious goodbye.

My sisters are my best friends.  We currently live in three different states... but distance doesn't really separate you from those you love.  It makes the times we get to spend together more precious and special.

Enjoy a little trip through time with Da Powa through Da Years:

Sisters... quite a few years ago...

Sisters... a few years later

Sisters... Just a few years ago...

Sister Silliness... 

Ahhh... the memories.  We've gone through many changes over the years... we've had long hair, and short hair, gained pounds, lost pounds, rocked our babies to sleep, and sent them out into the world as adults, had times of incredible happiness, and times of great turmoil.  But still we remain best friends.  In the words of my sister, Sheila:  "We are who we are, because we were who we were."  Indeed... Yes indeed!  I love you, my sisters... and I miss you... and I can't wait until the next time we're together for some of those good ole, laugh 'til your face hurts good times! 


Happy Day!
Liz

4 comments:

  1. Liz, thank you for taking us down memory lane...couldn't hold back the tears as I read, and re-read it. I love you, my sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you right back, Big Sister! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. I love you too, My Little Miracle! :)

      Delete